Friday, January 14, 2005

The Curious Incident of the Democrat in the Night-time

Something weird happened to me last night. I was walking to meet my lovely fiancee Claire for a drink, when I spotted someone coming out of a local pub, on my street corner.

It was Senator John Kerry, erstwhile candidate for the presidency of the United States.

How bizarre is that? What makes it even more weird is that, as he stepped into his big black Mercedes, he stopped and waved to people still in the pub; where a whole bunch of kids waved back, from behind the window.

What had he been doing? Well, having a pint, I guess. But still. Kinda strange to see this nearly-the-most-powerful-man-in-the-world hob-nobbing with the regulars in my boozer. I wonder if he tried the Mister Porky pork scratchings. Or maybe he just chucked a few quid in the fruit machine, then downed six Stellas and went off for a kebab. Like the rest of us.

Tomorrow, I strongly expect to find Jimmy Carter, Henry Kissinger, Walter Mondale and George Bush Senior all sitting in my kitchen, arguing over whose turn it is to defrost the fridge.

No comments: