Tuesday, April 05, 2005

A Love Poem for My Fiancee, Claire


A brilliant picture of Claire in a church on the Scillies. By me.

I was somewhat mean and insensitive to my beloved fiancee last week. Since then she's been huffy, and perhaps with good reason. When I asked her what I could do to make it up to her, she said, Write me a poem.

Since then I've been thinking: trying to come up with a poem that will symbolise my contrition, and epitomise my love. Something along the lines of Byron's 'She walks in beauty like the night, of cloudless climes and starry skies', or William Blake's 'Never seek to tell thy love, Love that never told can be'.

And so, remembering my beloved's birthplace, the bosky county of Kent, I came up with this:


There was a young lady from Kent
Who read some Immanuel Kant
When asked: d'ye ken?
She said: 'No I can't,
'Now fuck off and die you old clumsy person'.


Unfortunately, for some reason this verse does not seem to have mollified my beloved. In which case I can only say: sorry, babe. xx Posted by Hello

No comments: