Thursday, July 07, 2005

Within an hour or two of the first bombs, London has been closed down. The Tube Stations are shut - as here at Goodge Street. All buses have been halted and evacuated. The airport trains have all been cancelled. Many mainline stations are entirely shut. The whole city is, as I take this picture - a few minutes ago - in lockdown.

What the F. I don't know whether to be scared or stoical, or just surprised at the uncanny calm that is prevailing. Maybe I need a beer. I notice the pubs are full - and full of people staring at the TV screens. They're gulping whiskies and looking at images of carnage. Of course... they could walk out of the pub, cross the road, and see death and mayhem with their own eyes. I don't blame them for not wanting to see it in the flesh, for wanting to see it through the protective medium of TV.

No comments: