Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Nice View of Dachau


Sea looks nice though.




OK guys, I'm aware my blogging has been sparse to the point of inexistence of late; that's cause I'm working hard. Right now I'm in Namibia, researching the next Tom Knox thriller. Recently I arrived in Luderitz, a semi-derelict port surrounded by deserts, ghost towns and prowling hyenas - i.e. it's a bit like Britain in 2010, after two more years of Labour government.

But here's a thing. I’ve just realised my hotel room has a good view of the world’s first extermination camp: Shark Island, where the Germans killed the last of the rebellious Witbooi people, in the 1900s.


Read about it here.

That's quite something isn't it? The island is on the left of the pic.

Do you think this was a deliberate feature, incorporated by the architects? I’d like to have been at the design meeting when the hotel was being planned. “No, Tarquin, let’s put it nearer the ovens, and call it the Mass Grave Breakfast Bar. Then guests can gas their own muffins.”

Maybe they just didn’t realise.

Anyway, I’d like to know if anyone can beat that. Has a reader been to a more unfortunately situated tourist complex? Perhaps they’ve stayed in a Centerparc built on a plague pit. Or used the trouser press at the Hotel Rwanda. I’m prepared to be trumped by the amazing resources of the toffeewomble blogerati.

Dankie. More soon. Promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Bodi Tree cafe and hostel in front of the main gate of the Khmer Rouge death camp S-21 never really appealed somehow...
Hywel